1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
this chocolate almond cake is very rich, so small pieces please...that way your guests can come back for seconds!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 140 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 50 ml water
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 340 g sugar
- 125 g butter, diced
- 55 g dried breadcrumbs
- 225 g finely ground almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 450 ml double cream or 450 ml whipping cream
- 30 g icing sugar
- 1 whole almonds, to decorate
- 1Preheat oven to 170*C.
- 2Butter a 23 cm round springform cake tin and dust the bottom and side with sifted cocoa powder, tipping out the excess.
- 3Combine the chocolate, coffee powder and water in a double boiler over medium heat.
- 4Simmer, stirring until the chocolate melts, about 5 minutes.
- 5Set aside.
- 6In a large bowl, combine the egg yolks, sugar and butter and beat together until fluffy.
- 7Beat in the chocolate mixture, breadcrumbs and ground almonds.
- 8Clean the beaters thoroughly.
- 9In another large bowl, with the mixer at high speed, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- 10using a large metal spoon or rubber spatula, beat about 2 TBs of the egg whites into the cake mix to lighten it, then fold in the remainder.
- 11DO NOT OVERMIX> Spoon into the cake tin and smooth the top.
- 12Bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, until the middle of the cake feels firm and springs back when touched.
- 13Leave to cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
- 14In a large bowl, beat the cream with the icing sugar until stiff peaks form.
- 15Remove the cake from the pan and sift some icing sugar over top.
- 16Decorate with the almonds and serve with the whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Almond Cake
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1144.1
- Calories from Fat 780
- Total Fat 86.7 g
- Saturated Fat 40.2 g
- Cholesterol 325.5 mg
- Sodium 425.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 64.8 g
- Protein 21.5 g