Recipe by BamaKathy
I got this out of a kitchenaid mixer cookbook. My kids have one thing to say about it...YUMM-MY!
- 7 (1 ounce) semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (1 ounce) semisweet baking chocolate square
- 1 teaspoon vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt chocolate and butter in medium saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Place egg whites in mixer bowl. Attach bowl and wire whip to mixer. Turn to speed 8 and whip one to two minutes until stiff peaks form. Place egg whites in another bowl. Clean mixer bowl and wire whip.
- Place chocolate mixture, sugar, and almond extract in mixer bowl. Attach bowl and flat beater to mixer. Turn to speed 4 and beat about one minute. Stop and scrape bowl. Continuing on speed 4, add egg yolks, one at a time, beating about 30 seconds after each addition. Continuing on speed 4, add flour and beat about fifteen seconds. Gently fold egg whites with spatula.
- Spoon batter into 8-inch springform pan that has been greased and floured on bottom only.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until set in center. Cool completely on wire rack before glazing. Clean mixer bowl.
- To make glaze, melt chocolate and shortening in small saucepan over low heat, stirring to blend. Drizzle over cool cake.
- To make topping, place cream, powdered sugar, and almond extract in mixer bowl. Attach wire whip and bowl to mixer. Turn to speed 10 and whip 30-60 seconds, or until stiff peaks form. Spoon whipped cream in ring over top of cake. Sprinkle with almonds. Store in refrigerator.