Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almonds, sliced
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening (do not use butter, margarine or oil)
- 1⁄4 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening (do not use butter, margarine or oil)
- to taste almonds, sliced (optional)
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Beat butter and sugar until blended.
- Add eggs and almond extract; beat well.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until smooth.
- (Dough will be thick.) Stir in almonds using wooden spoon.
- Shape dough into two 11-inch-long rolls.
- Place rolls 3 to 4 inches apart on large ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 30 minutes or until rolls are set. Remove from oven; cool on cookie sheet 15 minutes.
- Using serrated knife, cut rolls diagonally using sawing motion, into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Arrange slices, cut sides down, close together on cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 9 minutes.
- Turn slices over; bake an additional 8 to 9 minutes; cool on cookie sheet on wire rack.
- Prepare Chocolate Glaze. Place 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon shortening (do no t use butter, margarine or oil) into small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until smooth when stirred. Makes about 1 cup glaze.
- Dip end of each biscotti in glaze or drizzle over entire cookie.
- Prepare White Glaze. Place 1/4 cup white chips and 1 teaspoon shortening (do not use butter, margarine or oil) into small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 30 to 45 seconds or until smooth when stirred. Makes about 1/4 cup glaze.
- Drizzle White Glaze over chocolate glaze.
- Garnish with additional almonds, if desired.
This recipe referes to sugar in the instructions but there is none listed in the ingredients. I made it with 1 cup sugar, but they were'nt quite right.
Got all set to make these and discovered the amount of SUGAR to use is NOT listed. So disappointed!!!!