Recipe by johnvac52
These are great dipped in coffee or eaten by themselves. They make a nice gift when put in a large coffee mug.
Top Review by Kathy(
4/11/2004: Fabulous! I've made these, oh, about a dozen times so far. I increase the almond extract to 1 1/2 tsp. Thanks for a great recipe. 11/19/2008: Once again, my favorite biscotti recipe. I switced to Hershey's special dark cocoa powder and I like them even better!
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced almonds, toasted,divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup white chocolate chips (optional)
- 2 teaspoons shortening (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet and set aside.
- Place 3/4 cup of toasted almonds in a food processor and pulse until ground.
- Beat butter in large bowl for 30 seconds, then add sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; beat until combined.
- Beat in eggs and almond extract.
- Beat in as much of the flour as you can with mixer.
- By Hand, stir in remaining flour, the ground almonds and the remaining 3/4 cup of sliced almonds.
- On pieces of wax paper, shape dough into two 14 inch long rolls.
- Place rolls on prepared cookie sheet at least 5 inches apart, flatten slightly.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near centers comes out clean.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 1 hour.
- Cut each roll diagonally into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Place slices, cut sides down, on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 minutes.
- Turn slices; bake 7 to 9 minutes more or until cookies are dry and begin to crisp (do not overbake).
- Remove from cookie sheets to wire racks.
- Cool completely.
- If desired, to make glaze or drizzle, place semi sweet chips and white chips in separate small microwave safe bowls.
- Add 1 teaspoon of shortening to each bowl.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute, stirring once; stir.
- If necessary, microwave an additional 15 seconds or until chips are melted and mixtures are smooth when stirred.
- Dip biscotti into mixtures or drizzle over tops.