Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 3⁄4 cup blanched whole almond, toasted and chopped coarsely
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped in 1/2 inch (1.25 cm)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Toast almonds for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and then chop coarsely. Set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the sugar and eggs on high speed until thick, pale, and fluffy (about 5 minutes). When you slowly raise the beaters the batter will fall back into the bowl in slow ribbons.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the egg mixture and beat until combined.
- Fold in the chopped almonds and chocolate.
- Transfer the dough to your parchment lined baking sheet and form into a log, about 12 inches (30 cm) long and 3 1/2 inches (9 cm) wide. You may have to dampen your hands to form the log as the dough is quite sticky.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer log to a cutting board and, using a serrated knife, cut log into slices 3/4 inch (2 cm) thick on the diagonal.
- Place the biscotti, cut side down, on the baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes, turn slices over, and bake another 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Store in an airtight container.