Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup plain soymilk
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup almonds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Toast almonds for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and then chop coarsely. Set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the sugar and eggs on high speed until thick, pale, and fluffy (about 5 minutes). (When you slowly raise the beaters the batter will fall back into the bowl in slow ribbons.) At this point beat in the vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the egg mixture and beat until combined. Fold in the chopped almonds and chocolate.
- Transfer the dough to your parchment lined baking sheet and form into a log, about 12 inches (30 cm) long and 3 1/2 inches (9 cm) wide. You may have to dampen your hands to form the log as the dough is quite sticky. Bake for 25 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes. Transfer log to a cutting board and, using a serrated knife, cut log into slices 3/4 inch (2 cm) thick on the diagonal. Place the biscotti, cut side down, on the baking sheet. Bake 10 - 15 minutes, turn slices over, and bake another 10 - 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool. Store in an airtight container.