Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A co-worker made these at Christmas and boy were they good! I had to share the recipe with all the chocolate lovers here.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cold butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly.
- Press on bottom of 13 x 9 pan.
- Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Melt 1 cup chocolate chips with condensed milk; remove from heat.
- Cool slightly; beat in egg.
- Stir in almonds and extract.
- Spread over prepared crust.
- Bake 25 minutes or until set. Cool.
- Melt remaining chocolate chips with shortening.
- Drizzle over bars.
- Chill 10 minutes or until set.
- Cut into bars. Store covered at room temperature.
Wonderful recipe. Very quick and easy to make, but people will think you have slaved over the. I did use peanuts instead of almonds. DH prefers peanunts. Great recipe.
Very chocolatey, with a little crunch. DH gave them a 5-star as he went back for a second piece, saying "Yum..so good". I followed directions exactly, and was very pleased that the bars cut into firm, yet tender squares full of chocolate flavor!
For me these were good but not outstanding. They have components of some of my favorite things - shortbread, almonds and chocolate -so I was prepared to love them. I just didn't care that much for the flavor of the chocolate part, but others I shared them with really liked them. The first ones were difficult to remove from the pan and the edges were a bit cruchy so I trimmed them before taking them to work to share.