Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Silky smooth, richly chocolate, subtly spiked, delicious, delicious, delicious! The heat from the chilis & a subtle lacing of sea salt elevates this beyond-amazing hot chocolate to an adult and deeply satisfying experience. Share it if you can bring yourself to do so. Everybody loves this. But if after a taste you want to keep it all to yourself, go ahead. Give yourself this glorious gift.
- 2 chili peppers
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine
- 4 dashes , a large grain sea salt of your choice (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, as cold as possible (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- The quality of the chocolate is the essence of this drink. Use a good one, Guittard, Callebaut, Valrhona, etc. DO NOT USE CHIPS! They do not properly melt.
- Place the bowl in which you will whip your cream and your whisk in the freezer.
- You can control the heat of this hot chocolate by the chili you choose, and also by how you use the chilis. If you like it spicier, pick a hotter chili. Stem and slice the chilis thinly. If you are a diehard, throw in the chilis, seeds, ribs and all. If you like it with a touch of zing but not too much heat, remove the seeds and ribs. If you like it milder still, don’t slice the chilis, leave them whole. If you don’t like any heat at all, you can substitute ½ teaspoon espresso powder, which intensifies the flavor of the chocolate.
- However you’ve arrived at this stage, place the whole milk, heavy cream and chilis in a medium sauce pan. Heat without stirring over medium heat until small bubbles appear around edges. Do not allow the mixture to boil. Remove from heat and let stand for 15 minutes to let the chili infuse the milks. Strain the chili out, and return the milk mixture to the saucepan. If you are using espresso, skip these steps.
- Over medium heat, whisk together the milk mixture, powdered sugar, (and espresso powder if you are going that route) until small bubbles again appear around edges. Do not allow the mixture to boil.
- Remove from saucepan from heat and stir in the chopped chocolate until melted, returning the mixture to very low heat if needed for the chocolate to melt completely. But try to chop your chocolate finely, so that this is not necessary. Stir in the optional salt. Pour into cups and serve, topped with whipped cream if you wish, with any remaining whipped cream served in a bowl for self-help.
- Whipped cream: Remove chilled bowl and whisk from freezer and pour in heavy cream. Add vanilla extract and beat until frothy. Add sugar gradually, continuing to beat. Beat until cream forms soft peaks when whisk is lifted.