Prep 2 mins
Cook 5 mins
The cornflour/starch is the 'trick' in this recipe. Trust me.
Make and share this Chocolat Chaud a La Moi (Ev's Hot Chocolate) recipe from Food.com.
- 5 ounces dark chocolate, best-quality, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk (full fat)
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons cornstarch or 1 1⁄4 tablespoons cornflour
- 3 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the chocolate and half the milk in a pan and heat, stirring, until the chocolate has melted. Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining milk and whisk into the chocolate with the sugar and vanilla extract. Cook on low heat, whisking constantly, until the chocolate is thickened, about five minutes. Add extra cornstarch if it doesn't start to thicken after 5 minutes. Remove and whisk smooth.
I,live in France--this is the stuff from the cafÃ© down the street. I made half a recipe for 2, used skim milk and I didn't have super good choclate in the house so used more ordinary stuff, still good. Excatly the right taste and consistency, what a surprise! If I had churros, I'd be dipping them in it like they do in Spain. Another good one Ev.
Thick, rich, delicious, comforting....what did I leave out? This is so good. I followed Rita and used fat free milk. I didn't miss the fat at all and substituted Splenda for the sugar. If you want a little kick, try adding 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder. Definately a winner in my house.
I drinking this as I type the review! The is thick and rich! Boy! do I feel guilty! I did make half the amount and use low fat milk with no problems. I have coffee perking and I adding some to my cup of coffee! Thanks!