Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A from-scratch favorite from the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Cooling time not included in preparation time.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ounce chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 tablespoon butter (no substitutions)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat milk with chocolate in the top of a double boiler, beating well when chocolate has melted.
- Mix sugar, salt, cornstarch and cocoa; blend with a little of the chocolate milk.
- Return to the double boiler and cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add butter, cool and add vanilla.
- Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream.