Recipe by FireRaven
A hearty, lightly spiced chocolate chip oatmeal cookie. This is a stiff dough with lots of texture that appears slightly dry in the bowl. I had no problem with it holding together, but if it's too dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk to bring back some of the "stickiness." Great with coffee.
Top Review by ladypit
We were mixed here. I was surprised hw much orange flavor comes from just zest (as it has not always proven to be that way in other recipes I have tried). My 7 year old thought the orange flavor was too strong. I thought it went well with the other flavors. These do not spread much so the shape you form is pretty much what you get. Nice addition to my cookie assortments. Thanks.
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute (other sugar substitutes may also be used)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup white flour (I use King Arthur's all-purpose flout)
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour (I use King Arthur's white whole wheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 orange, zest from
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter, sugars, and Splenda (or other substitute) together until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Beat in egg and vanilla until well combined.
- Add flours, baking soda, salt, and spices and blend until combined.
- Stir in oats.
- Stir in chocolate chips and orange zest.
- The dough will be stiff, so for best mixing, use your hands.
- (That's part of the fun!) Using a 1/8 cup measure, scoop out dough and form into a ball.
- Lightly flatten, and place on a parchment or Silpat lined cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes for a chewy cookie, and 1 to 2 minutes more for a crisp cookie.
- Remove from oven, let rest on cookie sheet for a minute or so, and transfer to wire racks to complete cooling.