I got these last year from christmas-cookies.com , I needed something different for a tray I was preparing. I love these! Nice light mint flavor with the chocolate. When doing them for Christmas, I tinted the sugar red and green for rolling :) **cooking time is PER tray**
- Melt chocolate squares over low heat.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer at medium speed, cream the shortening and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and blend well.
- Add reserved chocolate, corn syrup, water, and extracts and blend well.
- Stir in flour mixture until just blended.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll in additional sugar and place about 2-inches apart onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes.
- Cool a few minutes on baking sheet and transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Wonderful cookies! Chocolate with a zip of mint, a great combo! I easily halved the batch and will make them again trying different extracts like coconut or almond! I used sparkling sugar for dipping in place of the granulated. Thanks for a great recipe Marlene! :)