Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Very easy, very good, very chocolately...... Great served warm with ice cream or Cool Whip.
Make and share this Choco-Cherry Upside Down Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- In a greased 13x9x2" baking pan, spread the Cherry pie filling evenly over the bottom.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar,unsweetened cocoa powder,the baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl stir together the water, oil, vinegar and the vanilla.
- Add liquid ingredients to flour mixture all at once, stirring Just To Moisten.
- Pour the batter evenly over the cherry pie filling.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or till the cake tests done.
- Cool 10 minutes in the pan; invert and cool.
- Serve with Cool Whip.
- Serves 12.
i make this but use a boxed cake mix and a home chocolate icing to die for
I have yet to make this with the cherries! None of us are vegan, but i love saving money on eggs and dairy products! Don't try in a pan taller than 2" or the middle doesn't cook. Without cocoa, this makes a great banana cake (mashed banana to replace some of the oil) or spice cake (just, er, add cake spices) and I often use orange juice instead of water.
This cake was just OK. We ate it, but decided it just wasn't good enough to be a keeper. It didn't have that gooey-rich taste that I love in chocolate cake.