I'm not sure about the origin of the recipe; my best friend asked me to make this for her birthday and dear heavens, was it amazing! Bake time for my convection oven was 40 minutes, but check after the first twenty-five. Nice, crisp crust and moist inside...the chocolate, coffee and cinnamon blend exquisitely.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Butter and flour a 10" springform pan (I used baking spray).
- Melt butter and chocolate chips in double boiler until mixed and smooth.
- Beat eggs and sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Combine cocoa powder, cinnamon, flour and espresso powder; add dry ingredients to egg mixture on lowest mixer speed.
- Slowly add melted chocolate mixture to other ingredients, still at lowest mixture speed (take care not to curdle eggs).
- Pour batter into springform pan and bake for 25-45 minutes; check cake with toothpick every five minutes after 25 minutes.
- Cool in pan on rack.
- When ready to serve, dust the top with sifted powdered sugar and sprinkle with fresh raspberries.
This cake was divine!!!!! Super chocolately, dense, not fluffy like cake, but not overly dense. Just right! I think people should ignore the first time, as 25 minutes isn't even close. (Maybe that's the directions for 2 of them? The batter divided in half into 2 pans maybe?) I baked mine for 40 minutes, checked it, added another 4 minutes and it was perfectly done. I decorated it with a little chocolate espresso buttercream, fresh berries and powdered sugar! Spectacular!! Thank you so very much for sharing this wonderful recipe! Will be made again and again!<br/>*Update. As if this torte wasn't heaven sent the first day....omg....it's even better the next day and the next!! It does get much more dense the second and third day, but it just kept getting better and better!!! We shared the other half with the neighbors and our dear sweet mail lady! As the 2 of us could not possibly eat it all. Our friends think I'm a goddess!
Oh my, this is wonderful. I had a small piece a couple of hours after Easter dinner. Had it with strawberries and it is so good. Would also be good with a strawberry puree. I did have to cook mine for the full 45 min.