Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
put in here so i would not lose it want to make for my friends baby shower. Notes & tips: Lining a slab pan: Lightly grease the base and sides of a slab pan, paying particular attention to the two short ends. Cut out a sheet of baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang at each long side. Use the overhang to lift slice from pan in one piece.
- 200 g good-quality dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 150 g butter, melted, cooled
- 395 g sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 40 g butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- green food coloring
- Preheat oven to 180°C Grease a 3cm-deep, 18cm x 28cm (base) slab pan. Line with baking paper (see note).
- Make base: Sift flour and baking powder together into a bowl. Stir in brown sugar. Add butter and mix until well combined. Using the back of a spoon, press mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until light golden. Remove from oven. Reduce oven to 170°C
- Make filling: Place condensed milk, caster sugar and butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until butter and sugar have melted. Reduce heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat and stir in peppermint essence. Add a few drops of food colouring and stir to combine.
- Pour filling over base. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until filling is just set. Allow to cool completely.
- Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on medium (50%) for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring every minute with a metal spoon, until almost melted. Stir until smooth. Spread chocolate over the cooled slice. Stand slice in pan for 1 to 2 hours or until set. Cut into pieces and serve.
- Notes & tips.
- Lining a slab pan: Lightly grease the base and sides of a slab pan, paying particular attention to the two short ends. Cut out a sheet of baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang at each long side. Use the overhang to lift slice from pan in one piece.
it was very fiddly to make. the filling bubbled and burnt in the oven. when melting the chocolate you will need to add a bit of water otherwise it just cooks. otherwise it taste's great!