This is an easy home made cake with a delicious crunchy topping on a super moist cake! It is not super sweet but rather you taste the cocoa. People tend to put to much of the toppings on, big mistake stick to the recipe amounts! Dates are some times hard to find, so I order my chopped dates on line in 8oz pks. Dromedary are my favorite, but Sun Maid , or Dole are good too.Enjoy!
- First pour baking soda and boiling water over chopped dates set aside to cool.
- Cream together 3/4c shortening, 1c sugar, & 2eggs. Set aside.
- Date mixture-Sift together 1 1/2c flour, 2tbl sp Coacoa, 1/2 tsp salt.
- now add the date mixture to the creamed mixture and stir in the cooled dates.
- Put into a sprayed and lightly floured 9 X 13 pan. I just use Pam w/ flour nonstick spray.
- Topping- Stir together 1/2c sugar, 1c choc chips, 1/2c chopped walnuts. Mix together and sprinkle over cake.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 min or untill toothpick comes out almost clean. Do not over bake!
Have been making this cake for years and feel it is a recipe that is often overlooked. It is one of our favorites. Only difference I make is to use half butter because we don't care for a shortening taste. Agree with your comments re too much topping. Highly recommend this cake for any occasions. Great warm with some good vanilla ice cream.
Love It, Love It !!!!