Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
You will not find a yummier chocolate dessert let alone one that is vegan and wheat free with no added fat or oil. I sell these to a local health food store. They are magnificient straight out the oven and also reheated for 20sec in the microwave once cooled. Alternatively they double as a cold brownie type treat which is equally delicious. The result of this recipe depends highly on using a good quality dark chocolate. I reccommend a 70% cocoa blend and chop it by hand or a food processor.
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 4 teaspoons brandy
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄3 cups white spelt flour
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup chopped glace cherries
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease about 10 pudding tins.
- Combine the applesauce, sugar, brandy and vanilla together in a large bowl. meanwhile in another bowl combine the rest of the ingredients except the cherries.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the applesauce mixture, add the cherries and combine it all, making sure the chocolate and cherries are evenly distributed. Try not to over mix it.
- Spoon the mixture into the tins filling to about 3/4 full (they will rise a bit and then drop a little during cooking) and bake for 15mins.
Just made this for my christmas pudding tomorrow. I made quarter amounts as it was only for me and it made one pudding and I used the rest of the mixture to make a couple of cupcakes. Just tried one of the cupcakes and it was absolutely delicious. I will definitely be making this again for all the family. And as an added bonus the house smells gorgeous too.
Unfortunately this recipe is not wheat free, it uses spelt, which is wheat. Looks good though!