Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
A slightly new take on the Polish classic--and SO pretty.
- 1 lb beet
- 1 lb raw shrimp
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons chopped dill
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- 1 sliced lemon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 green onions
- 4 radishes
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 3 potatoes
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and seeded
- salt and pepper
- Grate the beets; place in an earthenware container with 2 tablespoons of vinegar; let marinate one hour.
- Peel and cut the vegetables (except the beets) into small dice; cook the diced potatoes in boiling water with a pinch of salt, drain and reserve.
- Place the beets in a saucepan and cover with 8 cups of water; bring to the boil; reduce the heat and let cook for 10 minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of sugar; cook 10 minutes longer.
- Drain the beets, reserving the cooking liquid.
- While the beets are cooking, bringing alarge pot of water to a boil.
- Peel the shrimp; place into boiling water and cook until they are pink (do NOT overcook).
- Drain and chop coarsely.
- Place the beet cooking liquid into a bowl, whisk in the sour cream, add the beets, radish, green onion, cucumber, potatoes, shrimp, lemon juice, dill and the remaining tablespoon of vinegar.
- Season with pepper, salt and ½ teaspoons sugar, cover and refrigerate for two hours.
- Pour into serving bowls, sprinkle each with dill fronds and chopped hard-boiled eggs, and garnish with lemon slices if desired.