Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Hot spicy snacks are very popular in India. The variety is unlimited. Chivra is enjoyed as a snack any time of the day and is usually spicy hot, though this one is milder. Of course, you can adjust the heat/cayenne to your level of tolerance. Here is a quick and easy version using several available cereals. For the version in the photo, I added about 1/2 cup raisins at the same time as the nuts and spices. Makes 8 (1/2 cup each) servings.
- Combine the cereals and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds to the hot oil and cover with a lid to avoid splattering. Fry until the mustard seeds stop popping, a few seconds.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the cereal mix and stir well.
- Add the nuts, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper and mango powder. Roast, stirring occasionally for 5 to 7. I actually roast a bit longer, but you have to be very careful you don't burn the nuts or they'll taste bitter. A little brown or tan is ok.
- Remove from the heat and cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.