Recipe from Barefoot Contessa Ina Garten's book "Back to Basics" Oct. 2008. A great recipe that makes you not have to wait to make risotto to have leftovers to have Risotto cakes. These are made from scratch. Panko is a key ingredient so don't just use regular bread crumbs. As Ina notes, “Panko, or Japanese bread flakes, have a crisper, lighter texture than regular bread crumbs.” These can be assembled ahead and then fried right at meal time. She says"the yogurt, chives, and Italian Fontina give these a delicious creamy interior, and the panko gives them a wonderful crunchy crust.” Enjoy! ChefDLH
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring a large (4 quart) pot of water to a boil and add ½ tablespoon salt and the Arborio rice. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. The grains of rice will be quite soft. Drain the rice in a sieve and run under cold water until cool. Drain well.
- 2Meanwhile, whisk together the yogurt, eggs, chives, Fontina, 1 ¼ teaspoons salt, and the pepper in a medium bowl. Add the cooled rice and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight, until firm.
- 3When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- 4Spread the panko in a shallow dish. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- 5Form balls of the rice mixture using a standard (2 1/4 –inch) ice cream scoop or a large spoon.
- 6Pat the balls into patties 3 inches in diameter and ¾ inch thick. Place 4-6 patties in the panko, turning once to coat.
- 7Place the patties in the hot oil and cook, turning once, for about 3 minutes on each side until the risotto cakes are crisp and nicely browned.
- 8Place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and keep warm in the oven for up to 30 minutes.
- 9Continue cooking in batches, adding oil as necessary, until all the cakes are fried.
- 10Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chive Risotto Cakes ( Ina Garten Barefoot Contessa )
Serving Size: 1 (94 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 307.0
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 113.1 mg
- Sodium 342.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 13.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: