Prep 7 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, all-purpose
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons chives, snipped
- Cut the shortening into the flour, baking powder and salt until mixture looks like fine crumbs. Stir in milk and chives.
- Drop onto hot chicken. Cook uncovered 10 minutes, then covered 20 minutes.
- (These cooking times are only for if you're fixing the dumplings for the chicken fricassee).
Light, fluffy, and flavorful. Very simple and quick to make. I don't think it would be possible to go wrong with them. I don't use hydrogenated fats so I successfully substituted Canola oil for the shortening. I also used 1/3 whole wheat flour because I tend to find items made only with white flour tasteless. 8 servings might be a little optimistic. I fed myself, 2 teens, and a toddler with these on top of some beef stew and I think 6 servings might be more realistic.
have with a beef stew and you've got a complete meal very good daved it to my favorites