Recipe by Leslie in Texas
A refrehing soup that can be served cold or hot. Originally from a May 1979 issue of Bon Apetit magazine.
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 8 scallions, chopped, including some green top
- 6 large boston lettuce leaves (butter lettuce)
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed (about 6 oz.)
- 1 medium parsnip, cubed
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- salt, and
- white pepper, to taste
- sour cream or plain yogurt, garnish
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives, snipped (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 6 ingredients in 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 40 minutes.
- Strain vegetables, reserve cooking liquid.
- Transfer vegetables to food processor, blender, or food mill and puree.
- Return to saucepan with cooking liquid.
- Add dill and nutmeg.
- Bring soup to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Using a whisk, slowly add cream, blending well.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt and chopped chives.