Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I really hate most cooked carrots, but these are actually good, even really good. Try them... This goes well with Country Fried Steak and Chive Carrots (or anything else).
- 1 lb fresh carrot, peeled and cut into 2 ",long julienne strips
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives or 2 tablespoons chopped green onions (actually better with onions than chives)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute carrots and garlic in olive oil and butter for 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 8-10 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender.
- Toss with chives, and serve immediately.
Nice crisp/tender texture and we liked the caramelized flavour. I made as written except I had to substitute the green onions to cooking onions as that was all I had. A truly good side dish that I will make often. Thx Toby!
I had some leftover carrots and was looking for a different way to prepare them. I sauteed a little minced onion first, then added in the garlic. The olive oil and butter gave the carrots a nice glaze and texture. The final cooking on low, without adding any water, really concentrated the great flavor and prevented the carrots from getting mushy when covered to finish cooking. A truly tasty and different way to use carrots -- we all enjoyed it!
I made this recipe a little differently. First, I used baby carrots because it's so much easier than peeling and cutting regular carrots! I also boiled my carrots before adding the ingredients so that they were less crispy. It turned out great! The garlic and chives were a nice combination with the carrots.