These green mashed potatoes are so cool looking! This would be great for St. Patrick's day, Thanksgiving or any weeknight you want to kick your regular mashed potatoes up a notch! Adapted from Gourmet magazine.
Chive and parsley oil
- 1 cup chopped fresh chives
- 3⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 lbs yukon gold potatoes (or other yellow fleshed potatoes)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vreshly ground black pepper
- Make oil:.
- Purée chives and parsley with oil and salt in a blender until smooth. Pour herb oil through a fine strainer into a glass cup, pressing on and discarding solids.
- Prepare potatoes:.
- Peel and quarter potatoes. Cover potatoes with salted cold water by 1 inch in a 5-quart heavy pot, then simmer, uncovered, until very tender, about 25 minutes.
- While potatoes are simmering, bring milk, butter, salt, and pepper to a simmer, stirring until butter is melted.
- Drain potatoes in a colander and return to pot. Add the hot milk mixture and mash with a potato masher until almost smooth, then stir in 4 tablespoons of the herb oil.
- If desired, serve potatoes drizzled with some of remaining oil. Enjoy!
- Oil can be made 4 days ahead and covered and chilled. Bring to room temperature before using.
- Potatoes can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature before reheating in a microwave or double boiler, stirring occasionally.