Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an Indian nibbler that is made with American substitutes. I got this recipe from my friend who is from the state of Kerala. Very good and she says it is just as good as the snack from home.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 cup Rice Krispies
- 2 cups puffed rice cereal
- Melt the butter or ghee.
- Add the salt, turmeric, cayenne pepper, and mustard seed.
- Heat spices until the mustard seeds pop.
- Turn off the heat.
- Place cereals in a large bowl.
- Stir in the butter mixture.
- Stir until all the cereal is completely coated.
I've searched for a long time for an easy and good recipe for chivada or chivra. We always have this in our cupboard for my husband to nibble. It takes less than 5 minutes to make if your organised.
just a note to add that you can also add roasted coconut, peanuts/cashews, and chana dal (raisins for those who like it, too) - we add these things at home and they make for a delicious savory snack.