1 hr 5 mins
For those into Japanese cuisine...from the NY Times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups prepared sushi rice (see recipe below)
- 2 Hass avocadoes, in 1/2-inch strips
- 1 lb cucumber, carrot, daikon, cut into matchsticks (any combination)
- 2 sheets nori, cut into confetti (7 x 8 inch sheets)
- 2 lbs fresh sashimi fish fillets, cut into slices 3 inches by 1 inch by 1/4 inch thick (salmon, tuna, yellowtail, fluke, striped bass, Kampachi, cobia, hamachi or any sashimi grade fish)
- 1 bunch scallion, cut in thin rings halfway up the green tops
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- soy sauce, wasabi, pickled ginger, rice vinegar (toppings)
- 1To Complete the Zushi Bowl: Place a cup of rice, cooled to just above room temperature, in the bottom of each of 6 bowls. Add a layer of the avocado slices, distributing evenly in any pattern you choose. Sprinkle a pinch or two of salt over each bowl. Add the raw matchstick vegetables in an even, randomly arranged layer, and sprinkle on the nori confetti. Add the fish on top, arranging as you wish, perhaps in twists or rolls. Scatter scallions and sesame seeds on top. Serve with condiments like soy sauce, wasabi, pickled ginger and rice vinegar, so diners can season and toss sushi with chopsticks or spoons.
- 2To Make Sushi Rice: In a fine strainer, rinse the rice with cold running water, until water runs clear. Pour rice into pot with 2 cups cold water; let sit 30 minutes.
- 3Bring rice to a boil over medium-high heat; immediately turn heat to low and cover. Cook 10 minutes, remove from heat and let sit, covered, 15 minutes. In a small saucepan, dissolve the sugar and salt in the rice vinegar over a low flame. Pour evenly over rice and fold gently with a wooden spoon to mix. Leave rice in front of a fan, or fan with a piece of cardboard for 15 minutes or until rice is just above room temperature. Makes 6 cups.
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chirashi Sushi (Zushi)
Serving Size: 1 (593 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1189.9
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 83.1 mg
- Sodium 532.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 214.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.2 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 53.4 g