Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Chirashi is a bowl of sushi rice mixed or topped with ingredients. It is often eaten at home while nigiri sushi is mostly eaten at restaurants.
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice (uncooked)
- 4 tablespoons sushi vinegar
- 1⁄2 carrot
- 1⁄3 burdock root (8 inches)
- 1 fresh lotus root (6 inches)
- 5 shiitake mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Place the dried mushrooms in one cup of water for more than half an hour until they soften. Save remaining liquid, as it will be used as dressing.
- Steam rice according to the directions of your rice cooker.
- Slice lotus root thinly. Cut mushrooms into half, then slice thinly. Cut carrot and burdock into 1-inch length thin slice.
- Saute Lotus root, mushrooms, Carrot and Burdock, then add remaining liquid from shiitake mushroom, sugar, sake and soy sauce. Cook on medium heat until vegetables are soft.
- When rice is cooked, add sushi vinegar and mix well. Add cooked vegetables and mix together. Serve on a rice bowl or a plate. Top with snow peas, edamame, or nori as you like.