Recipe by Jainene
This is a Tanzania specialty: chips are placed at the bottom of a skillet, then whisked eggs are poured over it and the whole thing is cooked together until it's a solid omelet. My husband taught in Tanzania for a short while, and raved about this dish. I didn't realize how tasty it was until he asked me to make up a large batch of these for his students as part of celebrating International Day at their school. This is a variation that allowed me to make a large amount of omelets in a short period of time. It's not exactly the same, but my husband assured me the taste was very similar and the kids loved it. I garnished the plates with fresh sugar cane and each kid got a cup of mango juice.
Top Review by Tanzanian Expat
You can't imagine how hard I laughed about UmmBinat's changes. (Though I'm sure they were tasty.)
This is Tanzanian street food. If you're not cooking it in oil stolen from a transformer, you're not doing it right. The insects add protein. Chipsimayai is incomplete without a generous portion of pili pili (sliced fresh chilis, often habaneros or something similar to Thai chilis). Yes, they're hot. But come on, you're eating eggs and potatoes that are cooked in oil that has been reused for weeks.
If you want to be authentic, make sure your potatoes are cut into thick chips (or fries, depending on which country you're in). They're not meant to be crispy. And you only use enough egg to hold the thing together. Salt generously. (This is no time to think about your blood pressure!)
Glad you added this recipe.
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake the french fries and then turn off the oven. Keep them inside the oven so they stay warm. You could also heat them up in the microwave or even use a deep fryer, if you'd prefer.
- Whisk the eggs.
- Preheat a skillet on medium heat.
- Pour the whisked eggs in the skillet and swish them around to coat the bottom, just like you're making a regular omelet.
- When the omelet is nearly completely cooked, put the fries on one side, and fold the omelet over it.
- Cook for about 10-20 second more, then remove from the skillet onto a plate.
- Serve with salt, pepper, and ketchup.