Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I modified my mother's recipe to create this masterpiece
- 1 lb macaroni
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups milk (Skim)
- 2 tablespoons mustard, wet
- 12 ounces yellow cheddar cheese, shreaded
- 16 -24 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (NY Extra Sharp if possible)
- 1⁄2 package Ritz cracker
- Cook Macaroni per instructions on box until it is al dente.
- Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in saucepan on low heat.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut sharp cheese into small slices or cubes.
- Mix flour and pepper, then add it to the melted butter.
- Stir until smooth.
- Add mustard and 1/2 of the milk to sauce.
- Mix until smooth.
- Bring to boil and then simmer until thickened.
- (White Sauce) Add cheese, saving 4 oz of yellow cheddar cheese.
- Melt into sauce and and whip until smooth.
- Grease a 9x12 glass baking dish (using butter).
- Place macaroni in dish and pour sauce over macaroni, making sure all the noodles are coated.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Crush cracker and spread them across the top of the dish.
- Bake for another 5 minutes.
- Remove dish from oven and let sit for 10 minutes.