Recipe by Maryland Jim
Found this recipe in an older Southern Living Christmas Cookie Cookbook. Very tasty.
- 1 (8 ounce) package pitted dates, chopped
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (6 ounce) package semisweet chocolate morsels
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine dates and boling water in a small mixing bowl;cook to room temperature.
- Cream shortening in a large mixing bowl; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, beating well. Stir in vanilla and date mixture, mixing well.
- Combine flour, cocoa, soda, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Add to creamed mixture, stirring well. Spread batter in a greased 15X10X1 inch jellyroll pan: sprinkle with walnuts and chocolate morsels. Bake at 375 for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely in pan; cut into 2 inch squares.