Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a recipe my father taught my mother. He learned how to make it while in the army - WWII! I watched how they made it and have used it as a comfort food since childhood. This is NOT a recipe for those who are counting calories, watching their cholesterol, or worried about carbs! CAUTION: do NOT add any salt.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk, at room temp
- 4 -6 hardboiled egg, shelled and diced
- 4 ounces smoked beef, chopped coarsely (Buddig brand)
- 6 slices toast
- Melt the butter in 1 qt saucepan.
- When bubbling, add flour and whisk to smooth it out.
- Cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat and gradually add 1/2 cup milk.
- When all is smooth, add rest of milk and put back over med heat.
- Heat all until mixture starts to thicken.
- Add chopped beef and stir to incorporate. Cook to desired thickness.
- If sauce thickens too much just add more milk.
- To Serve:.
- Place small amount of sauce on dish and top with 2 slices toast.
- Top each slice with some diced hardboiled eggs.
- Next top with more sauce.