Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Loved it as a child.
- 1 (2 1/2 ounce) package dried beef, chopped
- 2 tablespoons light butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash pepper
- 3 slices bread, toasted
- In skillet, cook dried beef in butter 3 minutes.
- Stir in flour; add milk. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly. Cook 1 to 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce and pepper.
- Serve over toast.
This is nice but will come out salty. Two suggestions: make sure you use unsalted butter and rinse the beef before using it.
I got one of those childhood cravings for this and decided to make it. My mistake is that I should have doubled or tripled! My husband and I just gobbled it right up! I liked the Worchestershire sauce in the end. I also sauted in a little minced onion with the beef - definatly a favorite! Thanks Linjen for bringing back great memories...