Recipe by CunSwim
Chipotle chilies pickled in brown sugar and vinegar. You can can these and give them as gifts, they go great with eggs or on sandwiches (tortas)
- 500 g dried chipotle chiles
- 3 large onions
- 1 whole head of garlic, broken up
- 6 carrots, sciced in 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 liter cider vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 piloncillo cone
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, bring 4 liters (1 Gallon) of water to boil. Add piloncillo; stir until dissolved. Add the rest of the ingredients; parboil just enough to slightly soften the carrots. Let cool. Check for seasonings and either can in separate small jars or one big gallon one.
- You may need to use less water depending on the amount of veggies. The sauce becomes a dark wine color from the sugar and chilies.
- You can also add baby potatoes, cauliflower, or zucchini--just make sure they don't over cook. You want them crisp not mushy.