Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Smokey chipotle chiles in a rich tomato sauce spiced with vinegar,garlic and onion and lightly sweetened with dark brown sugar. Refrigerator in an airtight container. To make a spicy sauce blend cooked, seeded chipotle in a blender till smooth. You can add back some seeds for heat and texture.
- 8 -10 medium dried chipotle chiles, stemmed and slit lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 5 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 3 cups water
- Place all ingredients in a heavy bottom pan, cover, and cook over very low heat for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, until the chiles are very soft and the liquid has reduced down to 1 cup.
- Alternate Method:.
- Place ingredients in a dutch oven and bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours till peppers are tender,and sauce is thick.
- You can also can this into a half pint jar and water bath it for 12 minutes at sea level. (See canning chart for your altitude).
This sauce rocks! I blend it up and put it in a squeeze bottle. It is now a staple in my fridge. I put it on lots of things, tonight it is going to be mixed with a little sour cream and used as a pizza sauce for my pulled pork (Simple Pulled Pork) pizza. It improves with age, after a couple of weeks in the fridge it mellows as the vinegar punch diminishes and the flavors combine. a+ ******
Goodness but this is just so easy and so very good
I think I am in heaven...thank you so very very much for sharing
for me I did the oven method and went for a little over 2 hours...
I can't wait to make another batch.. my house smells wonderful
We used dried chili peppers because we have a huge bag of them we got from the farmer's market. We stemmed and seeded about 20 of them for this recipe. We had to take a photo of it on our stovetop because of the wonderful color and the alluring aroma! (ok, you can't smell it but it smells great)! We used it to make Caramelized Adobo Onions which we put on chopped sirloin steaks. For those that like heat, this is a wonderful sauce!