1 hr 30 mins
By The Lake's Note:
A great way to preserve chipotle peppers and to enhance their flavor is to store them in adobo sauce. Making homemade chipotle peppers in adobo sauce is very easy and definitely superior to the canned adobo. You can also freeze the homemade chipotle adobo mixture when you're done to save it for up to a year.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1While the sauce is cooking, I smoke the red jalapenos in a 400 degree oven. Slather the peppers in canola oil and place on a cookie sheet. This takes approximately 30 minutes. Turn the peppers frequently so that they are blackened all around. Do not burn them, just blacken them. You still want a nice interior red flesh. Once they have cooled, slit the peppers down a side, but keep them whole hole.
- 2Combine all of the SAUCE ingredients in a pan and simmer, covered, over low heat heat until the liquid is reduced to about a cup. This should take about an hour. Once the adobo sauce has reduced add the smoked japapenos to it and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- 3I like to take about 5 peppers and sauce and put them into small containers and freeze them until ready to use. This adobo sauce recipe will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator in an airtight container, or you can freeze the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce for up to a year.
- 4FREEZE THE CHIPOTLE PEPPERS IN ADOBO SAUCE.
- 5There are several ways to freeze the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. You can pour them into a large zip lock bag and then freezing them flat. This will allow you to easily break off pieces as you need them.
- 6You can also puree the chipotle peppers in the adobo sauce before freezing them in the zip lock. If you puree them, you can make tablespoon sized mounds on a plate and then freeze the plate OR put them in small containers. You can then take the frozen chipotle puree mounds and put them into a single zip lock.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chipotles En Adobo - Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (117 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 45.1
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 885.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 2.2 g