1/6 Photos of Chipotle's Barbacoa Copycat Recipe
6 hrs 20 mins
Golden Nugget Gourmet's Note:
That's right now you can make barbacoa as good as Chipotle's at home! Perfecting this recipe started as a bet... while my husband Scott and his good friend Steve were enjoying one of their many grad school barbacoa lunches from Chipotle, Steve made the comment, "I don't think even Jan could make it this good." Oh, the challenge was on! I searched the web and found several recipes claiming to be the real deal but I decided to base mine off a copycat recipe I found on Todd Wilbur's Top Secret Recipes. So how did it come out? Let's just say Steve ate his words and several of these burritos :) Heads up, you'll need a crockpot for this one.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic cloves
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 -4 chipotle chiles in adobo
- 4 -5 lbs chuck roast
- 1To make the adobo sauce combine vinegar, limejuice, chipotles, garlic, cumin, oregano, black pepper, salt and cloves in a blender or processor on high speed until smooth.
- 2Remove most of the fat from the roast and then cut into large chunks (approximately 6).
- 3Pour oil into a frying pan and sear all sides of roast on medium-high heat until browned.
- 4Place meat into Crockpot and pour adobo sauce over meat.
- 5Pour in the chicken broth and add bay leaves.
- 6Cook on high heat 6 hours or on low all day.
- 7While still in the Crockpot, shred the meat with two forks and turn the heat to warm. Serve with hard or soft tortilla shells when ready.
- 8Typical sides include tortillas, rice, black or pinto beans, cheese, pico de gallo, guacamole, and sour cream.
- 9Don’t forget to make my 5 Minute Guacamole to go with it.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chipotle's Barbacoa Copycat Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 362.2
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 149.6 mg
- Sodium 547.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 48.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo