Recipe by Spongebob Chefpants
This is taco salad calabasitas style!! I created this recipe for the Craze-E cooking contest #2, Summer 2009. Enjoy!!
Top Review by EmmyDuckie
I thought this was a nice recipe, and the presentation is very creative. It reminds me a little of a Frito pie, which I really love. The slaw was amazing, and I have a feeling I'll make that part often. I felt the turkey calabasitas part was a little bland when I tasted it, so I added some cumin, chili powder, and a little hot sauce, and felt that improved the flavor greatly. I did love the amount of produce you managed to squeeze into a Frito Pie type recipe, though, the zucchini, tomato, and avocado are all great twists that add a lot of nutrition to the dish.
FOR THE CHIPOTLE SLAW
- 1301.24 ml freshly shredded green cabbage (about 1/2 a large cabbage)
- 118.29 ml green onion, chopped (about 6 onions)
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo (2 large ones out of a small can)
- 236.59 ml real mayonnaise
- 59.16 ml clover honey
- 29.58 ml fresh squeezed lime juice (about 1 small lime)
- 3.69 ml kosher salt (for the cabbage dressing)
FOR THE TURKEY CALABASITAS
- 44.37 ml canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped (2 cups chopped onion)
- 566.99 g ground turkey (85/15 lean to fat content)
- 946.36 ml fresh zucchini, cubed small (about 3 small zucchini)
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 4.92 ml kosher salt (for the turkey-calabasitas mix)
- 2.46 ml fresh cracked black pepper
TO ASSEMBLE SALAD
- 315.24 g bagoriginal Fritos corn chips
- 453.59 g brick longhorn style mild cheddar cheese, freshly shredded
- 1 fresh summer slicing tomatoes, cubed and with seeds removed
- 1 avocado, cubed
Directions See How It's Made
- Shred the cabbage in a food processor with the shredding blade. Place the cabbage with the chopped green onions into a large bowl.
- Rinse out the cabbage from the food processor and change to the regular chopping blade. Put the 2 chipotle peppers in and process until they form a smooth paste. Add to that the mayonnaise, honey, lime juice, and salt.
- Pour the chipotle dressing into the cabbage mix and toss to coat. Set aside in the fridge until ready to assemble salad.
- Heat the canola oil in a large Texas skillet. Add the yellow onions, turkey meat, and zucchini. Sprinkle the mix with the garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring often, until the turkey is no longer pink and the onions and zucchini have cooked down and gotten soft. (About 10 minutes).
- Remove the turkey from heat and keep warm to assemble the salad.
- Assemble the salad by placing some of the Frito chips around the edges of a plate and put some turkey mix in the middle of the chips, then some of the chipotle cabbage slaw, cheese, tomatoes, and avocado. Garnish with some optional cilantro if desired.