Recipe by Rita~
Top your next burger, meatloaf glaze ribs or chicken with this! Depending on how much water your tomatoes have will determine how long to cook.
- 5 lbs ripe tomatoes, score each for easy skin removal
- 6 chipotle chiles in adobo (minced and seeded if milder is desired)
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice, bottled
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pickling salt
- 6 basil leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Blanch tomatoes into boiling water for about 1 minute until the skins crack slightly. Peel, remove stem ends, and any tough parts while squeezing with hands to break up.
- Place in saucepan. Bring to a boil. Stirring often. Boil uncovered, about 30 minutes until liquid is reduced. If needed 10 minutes into cooking use an immersion hand blender to break up large pieces of tomato.
- Add lemon juice, sugar, vinegar, chipotles and salt. Stir as it returns to a boil. Boil about 1-2 hours, stirring often, until it thickens.
- Add basil last 5 minutes.
- Fill hot sterilized half pint jars to within 1/4 inch of top try to place 1 basil leaf in each jar.
- Wipe rims clean.
- Top with sterilized metal lids on jars and screw metal bands on securely. Process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.