Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
Make and share this Chipotle Tofu recipe from Food.com.
- 3 large tomatoes, wedged
- 2 onions, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, see note
- 24 ounces firm waterpacked tofu
- 1⁄4 cup Braggs liquid aminos
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Note use 1 to 2 peppers or to taste.
- Press and Drain the tofu. For an even firmer texture, freeze, thaw then press and drain.
- Preheat oven to 450°F On a lightly oiled baking sheet place the onions and tomatoes. Sprinkle with the garlic and salt [to taste] Drizzle with 2 tbsp oil and toss.
- Roast for 30 minutes. Stir every 10. Tomatoes should be tender and the onion brown around edges. [note you can also simmer them on stove top however it changes the taste a bit].
- Toast the cumin seeds in unoiled pan until fragrant [1 minute] Grind.
- Place the Rosted veggies in food processor with cumin, cloves and 1 tbsp oil and puree to smooth. Add the peppers one at a time. Puree between each. Now do the tofu.
- Reduce oven to 375°F Slice each tofu cake horizontally into 3rds. Stack and cut into slices on diagonals [make an X] You should get 12 pieces each cake.
- Whisk the Braggs, oil and water. Arrange tofu on baking sheet and toss with soy sauce mix. Bake until crisp around edges about 45 to 60 minutes. NOTE IF YOU DID NOT PRESS THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN. Turn tofu gently at 15 minute intervals.
- Transfer sauce to pan and warm on medium heat, stir constantly, when hot add tofu. Toss and add salt to taste. Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes.