Recipe by English_Rose
Tamarind's citrus-sour flavor is wonderful with chipotles. The sauce in this is dark, smoky, sweet and firey!
- 4 ounces superfine sugar
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chipotle paste
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 30 jumbo shrimp, raw, peeled
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the sugar in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the garlic, chipotle paste, dark rum, tamarind paste and 2 tablespoons water.
- Stir; simmer for 5 minutes until you have a thick dark sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large wok or frying pan. When it is smoking hot, add the oil.
- Add the shrimp; fry for 1 minute; add the sauce.
- Cook for 2 or 3 minutes until the shrimp are pink all over and the sauce has turned to a sticky glaze.
- Serve with wedges of lime and white rice.