Recipe by TJW
Two of my favorite foods come together here to make a great stuffed steak. It is rockin'. This is attributed to Ken Paris of the Chile head mailing list.
- 3 -6 chipotle chiles (canned)
- 1 small sweet onion (chopped)
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup grated Fontina cheese
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 lbs flank steaks
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the onion in olive oil until translucent. Add the tomato, chiles, and thyme and saute a couple minutes more.
- Mix the cheese and bread crumbs with the sauted mixture.
- Lay the steak flat and place the stuffing in a line down the long axis of the steak.
- Roll the steak around the stuffing (it should look like a large sausage), and tie every two inches with butchers twine.
- Brown the rolled steak in a frying pan with olive oil for just a few minutes, then bake at 450 for 25 minutes.
- Scrape any residue from the baking dish into the frying pan and deglaze with white wine. (Add 1/2 C or so of white wine, scrape the pan, and boil down until slightly thick.).
- Slice the roll into two inch medallions and top with the strained wine sauce.