A Tex-Mex like twist on traditional sloppy joes, paired with a cool, crunchy coleslaw topping. As a personal preference I leave out the cilantro, but recipe is posted as written.
- 1 lb 95% lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn
- 1⁄2 cup canned black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 -2 teaspoon chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 1⁄4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups packaged coleslaw mix
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/8-inch thick strips
- black pepper, to taste
- To prepare Crunchy Coleslaw:.
- Combine yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, pepper sauce and salt in small bowl.
- Add coleslaw mix and bell pepper; toss to coat. Season with black pepper, as desired. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.
- Brown ground beef with onion in large nonstick skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking beef up into 3/4-inch crumbles. Pour off drippings.
- Stir in ketchup, corn, beans, tomato sauce, chipotle peppers and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in cilantro, salt and black pepper.
- Place beef mixture on bottom half of each bun; top with coleslaw.