Recipe by Brenda.
A Tex-Mex like twist on traditional sloppy joes, paired with a cool, crunchy coleslaw topping. As a personal preference I leave out the cilantro, but recipe is posted as written.
Top Review by Kim127
I thought these were great!! From the other comments, I adjusted the cole slaw dressing a little bit to suit our tastes. I diced the red pepper and I used a large tablespoon of sour cream, 1/4 cup mayo, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, a good shot of Frank's red hot sauce and then salt and pepper. Come out fantastic and went really well with the meat mixture. I didn't add the cilantro to the mixture as DH doesn't really care for it and just sprinkled some on my sandwich instead. We used some soft onion rolls and served them with Recipe #372939.
- 1 lb 95% lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn
- 1⁄2 cup canned black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 -2 teaspoon chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 1⁄4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups packaged coleslaw mix
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/8-inch thick strips
- black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare Crunchy Coleslaw:.
- Combine yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, pepper sauce and salt in small bowl.
- Add coleslaw mix and bell pepper; toss to coat. Season with black pepper, as desired. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.
- Brown ground beef with onion in large nonstick skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking beef up into 3/4-inch crumbles. Pour off drippings.
- Stir in ketchup, corn, beans, tomato sauce, chipotle peppers and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in cilantro, salt and black pepper.
- Place beef mixture on bottom half of each bun; top with coleslaw.