1/1 Photo of Chipotle Shrimp With Corn Cakes (Zwt Usa Southwest)
1 hr 15 mins
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
From Bernard Clayton's Cooking Across America, posted for ZWT III. This looks like some work, but sounds lovely.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups water
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon crushed peppercorn
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 1/2 lbs uncooked medium shrimp (about 54)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 1/2 tablespoons pureed chipotle chiles
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup coarse cornmeal (polenta)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1Prepare ranchero sauce (makes 4 cups - need about 1 cup for recipe):.
- 2lightly blacken tomatoes and serranos in a skillet or under the broiler, about 4-5 minutes.
- 3chop together and set aside.
- 4saute onion and garlic in oil in a saucepan over low heat till onions are soft but not brown, about 10 minutes.
- 5combine all ingredients in the saucepan (reserve a few strips of julienned poblano for garnish). cook, partially covered, over low heat for 20-30 minutes, adding water if necessary.
- 6Remove cilantro.
- 7Garnish with a few strips of julienned poblanos.
- 8Refrigerate till ready to use.
- 9prepare corn cakes:.
- 10place the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
- 11in a large bowl, whisk the buttermilk and butter together and then whisk in the egg.
- 12gradually add the dry ingredients to the liquid and whisk till thoroughly incorporated.
- 13puree 1/2 cup of the corn and fold it into the batter along with the remaining whole kernels and the scallions.
- 14Add a little buttermilk if necessary to thin the batter.
- 15using an ungreased pan over medium heat, ladle 1 T of the corn cake better and form 3-inch cakes.
- 16Cook till golden brown, about 30 seconds each side.
- 17stack and keep warm till served.
- 19In a large pan, bring the water to a boil, add the lemon juice, peppercorns and salt.
- 20Add the shrimp and cook for 45 seconds to 1 minute.
- 21Drain, cook, peel and devein.
- 22Prepare chipotle butter - roughly puree together the butter, 1/2 lb of the peeled shrimp, and 1 1/2 T of chipotle puree.
- 23Set aside at room temperature.
- 24Just before serving, toss together the remaining pound of cooked shrimp with remaining 3 T of chipotle puree and heat through on a griddle, about 2 minutes.
- 25To serve:.
- 26place 3 corn cakes on each plate, place 3 shrimp on each cake and spread chipotle butter liberally over shrimp.
- 27sprinkle the chopped scallions over shrimp.
- 28Serve ranchero sauce at the side of the corn cakes.
Browse Our Top Southwestern U.S. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Southwestern U.S. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chipotle Shrimp With Corn Cakes (Zwt Usa Southwest)
Serving Size: 1 (890 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 777.1
- Calories from Fat 387
- Total Fat 43.0 g
- Saturated Fat 23.7 g
- Cholesterol 416.8 mg
- Sodium 2482.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 49.0 g