Recipe by Manami
Fast, Healthy, & Staff Favorite! To create this Southwestern-inspired dish Melissa Rubel, from F&W Magazine, tosses shrimp wth chipotle chile powder (made from dried, smoked jalapenos) grills them, then layers them on top of crunchy fried corn tortillas and crisp citrusy slaw.Recipe by Melissa Rubel, from Pairing of the Day: September 2008, How to Cook with Spices.Serve with a Berry-scented Rose:2007 S.C. Pannell Grenache Rose.
Top Review by speedgrl
Amazing taste! I couldn't find the chipotle seasoning at my grocer, so bought a dollar can of chipotles in sauce, and just used a tbsp (hot!) of the sauce for marinade. Omitted the oil. Used store bought tostadas and this was just outstanding. The slaw with sour cream really helps with the heat from the shrimp. This will be added to our rotation for sure!!
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- 4 corn tortillas
- kosher salt
- 24 large shelled and deveined shrimp (about 1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon dried chipotle powder (made from dried, smoked jalapenos)
- 4 cups shredded cabbage or 4 cups coleslaw mix
- 1 medium tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 Hass avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 medium radishes, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf
- lime wedge, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium, deep skillet, heat 1/4 inch of vegetable oil until hot.
- Fry one tortilla at a time over moderately high heat until lightly golden on both sides, about 2 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt(while they are still hot!)
- Preheat a grill pan.
- In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp with the 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil and the chipotle chile powder; season the shrimp with salt.
- Grill the shrimp over moderately high heat, turning once, until they are browned in spots and cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, toss the cabbage with the tomato, scallions, sour cream and lime juice and season with salt.
- Set the tortillas on plates and top with the cabbage slaw, chipotle shrimp, avocado, radishes and cilantro.
- Serve with lime wedges.