Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Spicy char-grilled shrimp nestled in corn tortillas with a green tomatillo & avocado salsa. From food t.v.
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 jalapeno, quartered, seeds (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 4 medium tomatillos (about 8 ounces)
- 1 Hass avocado, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
- 6.16 ml kosher salt
- 59.14 ml loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 4.92 ml dried chipotle powder or 4.92 ml blended chili powder
- 4.92 ml kosher salt
- 453.59 g medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 20)
- 8 corn tortillas
- 8 sprig fresh cilantro (to garnish)
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Put the onion, jalapeno, and garlic in a food processor and finely chop.
- Add the tomatillos, avocado, and salt and pulse until chopped but still chunky.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in the cilantro.
- Heat a stove top or outdoor grill to medium-high.
- Mix the olive oil, chipotle or chili powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the shrimp and toss to coat.
- Grill the shrimp until translucent, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on each side.
- Grill tortillas, until slightly charred and pliable, about 20 seconds per side. (Alternatively, wrap in a damp paper towel and heat in a microwave.).
- Spoon sauce on the tortilla, then top with about 2 or 3 shrimp and a sprig of cilantro.
- Serve 2 tacos per person, with a lime wedge on the side.
If you don't like this recipe you are a commie. Chipotle that i bought was a little spicy so my kids just had with plain shrimp but for adults it was perfect!
I actually just made the salsa and it turned out great. I was looking for a recipe for a green salsa with avocado and saw it with this shrimp recipe. The only thing is I would add the salt little by little so it doesn't get too salty, 1 1/4 tsp was too much.