This is one of the best soups I have ever tasted! It is a perfect blend of smoky and spicy. I always quadruple the recipe to feed a crowd. I got this from Cuisine at Home and it has become a favorite with my family and friends. Do yourself a favor and try this recipe!
- 2 slices thick sliced bacon, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 1⁄2 cups red potatoes, diced
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 -2 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo, minced (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- 1⁄2 lb medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and halved lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Saute bacon in a large pot over medium heat until crisp.
- Add onions,celery and garlic and saute 3-4 minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Stir in flour and cook one minute.
- Deglaze with sherry, stirring to scrape up bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Stir in broth, corn, potatoes, milk, chipotles, and thyme. Bring to a simmer and cook 15 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cream to soup.
- Add salt to taste.
- Simmer 5 minutes to cook shrimp.
- * This is very spicy. Start with 1/2 -1 Tbsp and work your way up according to taste.