Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is one of the best soups I have ever tasted! It is a perfect blend of smoky and spicy. I always quadruple the recipe to feed a crowd. I got this from Cuisine at Home and it has become a favorite with my family and friends. Do yourself a favor and try this recipe!
- 2 slices thick sliced bacon, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 1⁄2 cups red potatoes, diced
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 -2 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo, minced (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- 1⁄2 lb medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and halved lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Saute bacon in a large pot over medium heat until crisp.
- Add onions,celery and garlic and saute 3-4 minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Stir in flour and cook one minute.
- Deglaze with sherry, stirring to scrape up bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Stir in broth, corn, potatoes, milk, chipotles, and thyme. Bring to a simmer and cook 15 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cream to soup.
- Add salt to taste.
- Simmer 5 minutes to cook shrimp.
- * This is very spicy. Start with 1/2 -1 Tbsp and work your way up according to taste.
Another yum! I followed the recipe as directed with 2 small changes. I used russet potatoes as that is what I had on hand, and only added 1 chipotle chili because I was serving it to some people that don't like spicy. Go figure, lol! But they loved it! This was really good and simple. When I make it next time for myself, I will add more chipotle as I love the smoky spice. Thanks MamaJ for a real treat. Made for PRMR Tag.
Fantastic Soup! The only changes I made were to use 1 can of corn and I only had russet potatoes on hand, but this chowder is so satisfying on a cold day! It is sweet and smoky and great with rustic bread and butter. I used 2 whole chipotle chiles (about 2 Tbsp), since we normally love spicy food, but it was almost too much, so I will probably back off next time.
Wow! The smokey flavor from the bacon and chipotle is so tasty and there is the little kick from the chipotles too. I used one whole chipotles pepper with about 1 tsp extra of adobo sauce. I used 1 1/2 cups of light cream in place of the heavy cream and used one can of corn instead of frozen. I also had to sub vermouth for the sherry as I was out. It worked well but I really think sherry would be the better choice. Thanks MamaJ for a wonderful chowder!