1/1 Photo of Chipotle Shredded Beef for Tacos or Burritos
8 hrs 20 mins
A crockpot can really be so useful for the busy cook and I've always said that all you need is a handful of reliable slow cooker recipes to get you past your most busy times. Besides, think of the money that would be spent on take-out. This particular dish produces a good homemade meal and perhaps better than a restaurant. Here are a variety of accompaniments: flour tortillas or taco shells, lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado, cheese, lime, cilantro or pico de gallo. One from My Kitchen Addition blog with slight modifications.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (chipotle or ancho works well)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, minced (adding a little of the sauce)
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, combine the chili powder, cumin. smoked paprika and salt in a small bowl.
- 2Rub the spice mix into the beef, covering each side evenly. Once the oil is hot, place the beef in the skillet and sear on each side. Do NOT MOVE the meat while it cooks for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- 3Remove the beef from the skillet and place in the bottom of a slow cooker. Leave the pan on the heat and add in the beef stock to deglaze, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the tomato paste and minced chipotle and whisk into the pan sauce. Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for a few minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened slightly.
- 4Add the diced onion and minced garlic on top of the seared beef in the slow cooker. Pour the pan sauce over the onions, garlic and beef. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours until fork tender.
- 5Remove the beef from the slow cooker and shred with two forks. Use a slotted spoon to remove the onions from the slow cooker and mix into the shredded beef.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chipotle Shredded Beef for Tacos or Burritos
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 284.4
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 78.2 mg
- Sodium 198.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 20.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo