Prep 35 mins
Cook 40 mins
A new, spicy and delicious way to prepare sweet potatoes. The recipe comes from bhg.com.
Make and share this Chipotle Scalloped Sweet Potatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 3 large)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 6 ounces queso quesadilla queso blanco (1-1/2 cups) or 6 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded (1-1/2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a 4-quart Dutch oven cook sweet potato slices in lightly salted boiling water for 5 minutes; drain and set aside. Grease a 2-quart oval or rectangular baking dish; set aside.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan cook onion in hot butter about 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour and salt. Add milk all at once; stir in chipotle pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in cheese.
- Place half of the sliced potatoes in prepared baking dish. Cover with half of the sauce. Repeat layers.
- Bake, covered, for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake about 15 minutes more or until potatoes are tender. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.