Recipe by True Texas
From the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Cast iron cornstick pans make the best presentation, but a square pan will work. Bacon grease enhances the flavor, but you can also use a mild-flavored vegetable oil.
- 6 tablespoons bacon grease or 6 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal, stone ground
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal (not instant or quick-cooking)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Divide 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease among the corn-stick molds. (if you use a baking pan, pour about 2 tablespoons bacon grease into the pan).
- Place pan in the preheated oven.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cornmeal, oatmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Stir in remaining 4 tablespoons bacon grease, eggs, buttermilk, chopped scallions and chopped chipotle.
- When the grease is very hot, remove pans from oven and fill each mold about 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake until browned, about 15 minutes for corn-sticks and 20 minutes froma metal baking pan.