Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From my friend Shirley - it is our absolute favorite salsa recipe to can. It has a wonderful smoky flavor from the chipotle peppers. I would consider it to be mild. Heat could be adjusted by adding more hot peppers.
- 8 cups roma tomatoes
- 4 cups sweet peppers, chopped
- 2 cups onions, minced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 hot pepper (such as jalepeno)
- 1 -2 tablespoon chipotle pepper, pureed
- 3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 16 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, copped
- Blanch the tomatoes, remove the skin, and then chop. Measure 8 cups.
- Mix all ingredients except the cilantro in a large pot and simmer until desired thickness is reached, approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Ad the cilantro just before you are ready to pour into jars.
- Fill into hot, sterilized pint jars and top with hot, sterilized canning lids. W do not process in a canner and have never had a problem, but you may process in a hot-water-bath canner at this point for 20 minutes if you are concerned about food safety.
- If you buy a half-bushel of tomatoes and adjust the rest of the ingredients accordingly you get about 6 batches and 36 pints.
Wow! This recipe is delicious! I make a lot of salsas, but I've never made a cooked one, and I've never canned any before. I didn't think this one would last long enough to bother canning it either, but since the recipe was for canning, I followed along. I usually use a water bath, but I only made a half recipe, so I just "processed" them upside down while they cooled. Both lids sealed... but they won't be for long. LOL I used two jalapenos and loved the heat when I took a test bite, but thought it would be too hot for DH, so I left out just enough to take a photo and make a nice little snack for myself. Well, I took the photo and then went to the computer to upload it. 15 minutes later I went back to the kitchen for my snack and the bowl was empty! I will definitely make the full batch next time... and maybe add a few more jalapenos... ;) Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, pastawendy. We'll be making it again and again! Made & enjoyed for the Fall 2012 Pick-A-Chef event.